Sheriff Baca of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Office has agreed to sweeping reforms for the LA jail. The reforms include the following:
- Create an independent Inspector General’s office with the authority to scrutinize Baca’s agency.
- Hire an outside custody expert to run his jails
- Punishment for staff dishonesty would be dismissal rather than suspension
- Uses of force would not be investigated by the sergeants that supervise the officers
- More supervisors would walk the jail floors to monitor the deputies.
- Create a separate custody division with a professional workforce of deputies
This has been the culmination of an assuredly long fight against a powerful sheriff. Now that the recommendations have been made, it remains to be seen whether they will be effectively implemented.
Read the article here.